- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough (see below)
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 6 to10 thin spring onions or scallions, sliced into vertical strips
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- 1 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped herbs (a mix of basil, parsley, and tarragon)
- Pinches of red pepper flakes
Prepare the homemade pizza dough. Preheat the oven to 450°
On a lightly floured flat surface, divide the dough into 2 balls and roll each into a 10-inch oval shape. Add flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place the pizzas on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
On a plate, toss the spring onions with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with the minced garlic and brush onto the dough. Top the pizza dough with the mozzarella slices and spring onion strips.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the onions are soft and the pizza crust is golden brown. Top the pizzas with the chopped herbs and a few pinches of red pepper flakes.
About this recipe
Recipe and photo from The Love & Lemons Cookbook by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright 2016, Jeanine Donofrio