- 6 cups of your best local strawberries (about 2 pounds)
- 1 pound large, sweet tangerines, any seedless variety
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, plus more to taste
- a pinch of sea salt
- 3–4 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves or mint leaves, or both
Trim and rinse the strawberries and cut larger ones in half. Peel the tangerines, section them, and remove any pith from the sections.
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently, being careful not to bruise or break the fruit. Leave the fruit to macerate for about 30 minutes, and after 15 minutes taste and adjust the lemon and agave slightly if needed. The acidity of these fruits will vary with variety and weather, so you will need to use your taste buds to find the right balance.
Related Stories & Recipes
Be sure you have fresh, bright green carrot tops. And if you have no basil to add to the mix, try parsley or cilantro and a few fennel greens instead.
Although the ingredients are simple, think of this as a luxury dish: fresh fava beans are a seasonal delicacy. The risotto is aromatic with lemon zest and richly satisfying with the bright gree...
The prawns can be sautéed in their shells or peeled, depending on how you want to serve them. Sautéing in the shell keeps in a bit more flavor, but peeling the prawns makes them much easier to eat....